So I tried my first Kangoo Jumps class yesterday with Kangoo Emirates Club and I honestly didn’t know what to expect. I was handed a pair of the slightly intimidating Kangoo Jumps rebound boots, and strapped myself in. After an initial wobble, I found my bearings surprisingly quickly and got stuck in to the routine.
Equipped with a dome-shaped spring at the base, the boot is about 2kg in weight and gives you a pleasant springy landing as you jump about, for a low-impact cardio workout. Kangoo Jumps rebound shoes were originally developed for athletes – particularly those recovering from injury because of the reduced impact upon hitting the ground, which in turn reduces the impact stress on the joints. It just so happens that they’re great for bouncy dance routines too.
Instructor Elena started us off with our Kangoo Jumps class, beginning with a few steady marches and warmup jumps to give us a feel for the movement before hitting the main routine. A mixture of dance moves, jumps, squats – the workout was really varied and it was a lot of fun! You definitely need a bit of coordination to master the routine, as you take it segment by segment before putting the whole sequence together.
So what’s so good about Kangoo Jumps training?
1. Cardio. You can burn up to 1000 calories per class, and really you’re just bouncing around for an hour, having a good time. It does feel like a workout though and I definitely worked up a sweat, but it didn’t feel like hard work.
2. Improved coordination. You’ve got to get into a rhythm to make this work, or you probably will end up falling over. Once you’ve worked out the jumping part, you can then integrate the dance moves into the mix.
3. Endurance. This was definitely a great cardio workout, keeping you constantly moving throughout, working both the body and the brain to master the moves.
4. Alleviate stress. Jumping around for an hour on a pair of springy boots – what’s not to feel happy about? You’re constantly releasing stress-busting hormones called endorphins, which give you that ‘natural high’ after you have exercised.
5. Posture and gait. Kangoo Jumps can help with how you position your body naturally, because of the work required to remain balanced on the boots, so you are constantly engaging your core muscles which in turn will protect your spine. You switch on so many different muscle groups to stay both balanced and coordinated simultaneously which helps with your overall posture and alignment.
6. Rehabilitation. Maybe you’re coming back from injury, and so the journey back into sport will require low impact workouts – well, this is a great one for that, because of the reduced impact felt on the joints due to the rebound spring effect.
7. Fun. For a lot of us it can be hard to get motivated to go to the gym, or to head out for a run, but when you enjoy the sport that you’re doing, and you do it in an environment that feels fun, then you’ll put more effort in without even realising it – getting more from your workout as a result.
You can check out the Kangoo Jumps class at Core Fit, Dream Tower 2, Dubai Marina.